We all piled into the truck (including the dog) for the long ride to Montana, where we would be joining Wil's family for a celebration of his dad's birthday. The kids did great in the truck, despite having colds. We stopped part way at a tourist trap and Lola thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the touristy junk for sale there. We left with a cowboy hat (oh, sorry, a cowHORSE hat, as it had a horse, NOT a girl on it, thank you very much) and a toy pony.
We rolled into Missoula and set up our "camp" with several other campers and 5th wheel trailers. There were lots of kids and dogs there to keep Lola and Rowan fairly entertained for the weekend, not to mention an abundance of doting relatives to provide endless attention.
The kids got dirtier than I have ever seen them! The bathwater at night was brown. They breifly took time off from playing in the dirt to go to the hotel where Wil's parents were staying, where they swam and swam in the warm indoor pool. Rowan loved his floaty boat, and Lola had a great time swimming with her little floaty. I enjoyed the hot tub, followed by a lovely trip to the local brewery. Many beers were consumed, and all was well with the world.
I was worried about how the kids would sleep at night with all of us crammed into the tiny trailer, but they did great. Lola slept up in her little bunk, secure behind a foam bumper. Rowan slept in his pack n play behind a curtain that I made from leftover material. They slept like rocks. I was also worried about how I would sleep....Princess Insomnia....I shouldn't have ever worried. The trip was so exhausting that I slept like a rock too. In fact, we have been back for several days now and I am still catching up!
I would say that our first family camping trip was a total success! We will definitely go many more times this summer. What fun!

No comments:
Post a Comment