Monday, May 12, 2008

May 12th, 2008: I have to touch it!!!


Well, another Mother's Day has come and gone. My first Mother's Day with a son and a daughter. The day was like any other, except that after church we headed out to get me exactly what I wanted for Mother's Day... a Baconater from Wendy's. Normally I do not indulge in such fatty fare, but it was a special day, and heck, those commercials really suck me in. Mmmmmm, bacon. I love bacon! It should be its own food group. But I digress....

Rowan has finally learned how to smile. I am continually in awe about how babies develop and grow so fast. Every day must be exhausting for him as he learns cool things, like how to smile, and that he has hands, and that hitting himself in the eyeball with said hands is not fun. He has taken to his bottle like a duck takes to water. I still have guilt every day that I am somehow damning him to an eternal life of obesity and stupidity because I am not nursing him anymore. Well, I turned out ok...mostly! Anyway, he loves his bottle and his tummy has settled on the formula. He has been a very happy baby since the switch. He recently got to experience his first cold, which he handled much better than the rest of us. The only annoying thing about his little cold was that he woke up about 8 million times a night instead of just once. Rowan weighs in at almost 13 lbs, and is over 24 inches long!

Lola is a great big sister. Just recently she announced while patting Rowan's head: " I love him, he is my best friend!" I could have teared up it was so sweet. Wil gagged. Lola has managed to learn to count to 15, but the number 4 apparently does not exist. She skips it every single time. She has also memorized the entire theme song to "the Wonder Pets" show and loves to sing it loudly and repeatedly in the car while we run errands. I love this. It shows that she is learning to love TV as much as Mommy does!

A couple nights ago one of our long haired cats left us a small marble sized present up next to the bed. (when your hair is 5 inches long, you tend to get "dingleberries" which somehow always manage to fall off on my side of the bed, right where I step). Anyway, I asked Wil to clean it up please since I was busy. Later the next day I went up to put sheets on the bed and noticed that the offending bit of kitty poo was still there. Lola soon joined me in the bedroom, and I prayed that she wouldn't see it. Amazingly, using her gross item radar, Lola zoned right in on the disgusting little ball. She was drawn to it like a moth to the porch light. I said, "don't touch that, it is a gross piece of cat poop."

Lola laid down on her tummy, inches from the poop and stared at it intently. She inched closer, starting to reach out.

"NO" I said, "that is yucky, do not touch it!"

She stared silently for several minutes, then announced "I have to touch it!"

Why? Why would she want to touch it??? This amazes me. She was quickly hustled out of the room and away from the temptation. A few days later we had a friend over for dinner. Lola said "hi Jim!" and then followed up with "There's cat poop in Mommy's room".

Wow. She will be fun at parties.

In other news, Wil is finally catching up on his sleep as he remembers how sucky it is to have a newborn as far as sleep and sanity go. Nothing really new has been happening with him. The other night he was finding all my hummingbird feeders for me and I was on the phone with my mom while feeding Rowan. Wil came in and sat on the couch, holding a feeder and staring at me intently. I avoided eye contact, as I just wanted to continue talking on the phone uninterrupted. Eventually he got up and went away, and I finished chatting and hung up. Several minutes later he reappeared, complaining loudly about his injured finger.

"How did you do that?" I asked, taking the bait.

"I got my finger stuck in the hummingbird feeder."

"How in the hell did you manage that?"

"I was cleaning it and put my finger in there to clean out the dirt."

"......"

"Lucky thing I could use my drill with my left hand, since you weren't going to help me. It came right off, but your feeder isn't going to work anymore."

"Sigh."

Well, I am off to bed. Should be up soon feeding the hog.

No comments: