Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"A Fair-E-Tail"

September brings with it cooler temperatures, the end of harvest, and the local fair. Our little county fair might be small but the kids still think it is action packed! We went down one afternoon and checked out all the animals. Lola loved the chicken barn and especially enjoyed getting to pet one of our friends' chickens. Rowan really liked the rabbits and the pigs. We grabbed our traditional burger, and then hit the rides. Lola had a blast on the roller-coaster and the helicopters. Both kids got to play a carnival fishing game, and won little stuffed prizes. At the end of the day, we got a funnel cake and the kids played in the lentil pit.





We should have known that something was wrong when Rowan didn't scream, cry and tantrum as we pulled him out of the lentil pit. When we got home he was extra clingy. I took his temp and it was up to 104. Ack. Turns out the little guy was getting the flu. That was on a Thursday. I got to deal with a very sick and cranky toddler all weekend. Poor little man was so sick! He got over it without too much trouble though, and things headed back to normal on Monday.

That Monday Lola got to go back to preschool. She went all last year, despite being the youngest in her class and did great! This year we told her she could go full time, which is 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. She gets to ride the bus, which is very exciting.



Lola's first day was great. Unfortunately, that night she sprung a fever on us, and was out for the next two days, missing class picture day. Bummer! So finally on Thursday, both kids seemed healthy and Lola went back to school. I went back to work. The next day we went to the other local fair, and the kids danced and danced to the old time music. They didn't care that they were the only ones dancing, and the musicians even cheered them on!

Finally, our week ended with the local town parade and little festival. Lola got to ride in the firetruck with Daddy, and Rowan got to hold his buddy Ivy and watch the parade. We had some yummy food, saw lots of friends, enjoyed the ping pong ball drop, and had a really great day overall. To add to the excitement of the day, Lola won the duck race! We don't have her prize yet, but I hear it was quite a bit of cash!









To give me a little time to clean the house, I filled the wading pool with warm water and added bubble bath. Instant outdoor bath! It kept the kids busy for an hour, as they enjoyed one of the last warm days of the season.



Sunday brought with it a surprise of sorts. I was surfing the web, looking at puppies (because that is what I do, you know) and discovered a chihuahua breeder in a nearby city. We packed up and took the short drive to check them out. Long story short, Ivy will be getting a "baby Daddy"! I chose a little 2 day old male pup. He will be ready in November. I know, I know, crazy cat lady is doubling as crazy chihuahua lady. Oh well! With that, I am off to bed. Seems that the kids kicked the flu just in time to catch a cold, and they were so nice to share it with me.

No comments: