
Well, we survived our first weekend away from home. After filling our four door pickup truck to the brim with the porta-crib, stroller, front pack, carseat, diapers, bath stuff, medicines, formula, and at least 5 changes of baby clothes for each day, we set off to visit Wil's parents. Lola was an angel all the way to Spokane, then, when we heard the first sounds of unrest coming from the back seat, we took a pit stop at a friend's house for some milk and a nice stretch. After a 1/2 hour break, we drove the rest of the way to our destination, which would normally take about 2 1/2 hours from our house to theirs. We were operating on baby time, however, which adds at least 15 minutes for every time you have to unstrap the infant from the infant seat, 15 minutes per diaper change, and 15 minutes for Mommy to find a new titty pad so she doesn't ruin her shirt after nursing.
Lola did really well on our visit. She smiled and laughed and was generally a good baby. Boy does she have them fooled. She even slept OK in her little porta-crib, even though during the first night I awoke in a horrible panic, leaping out of bed and turning on the lights, sure that we had smothered her in our blankets. She blinked back at me, completely unharmed in her little bed. I'm sure she was wondering if psychosis runs in the family.
Back at home, Lola entered a great growth spurt, adding over a pound in a week and a half. Poor me! I waited and waited for it to end, but it took nearly two weeks. To add to this wonderful experience, Lola learned a new noise. It is sort of the sound you might imagine a small mammal making if caught in a trap and forced to gnaw its own leg off...a terrible high pitched squeal in a frequency that I'm sure not even dogs can hear! I imagine that my little girl can now communicate with bats and dolphins. Before we discovered the wonders of Zantac to calm Lola's gastric reflux, I would always worry as I strolled her down main street, that people would stop and stare at the unhappy baby and her mean mom, rolling from one end of town to the other producing a doppler effect of bloodcurddling wailing. Now I had to explain to passersby that the godawful screach eminating from the stroller was coming from a happy baby, even if she contorted her vocal cords so tightly that she would give herself coughing fits after the lovely noises. Thankfully, Lola only practiced this new sound for about a week. I wonder what fresh hell she has in store for us next....
This week Lola finished up my stash of frozen breastmilk, which meant that she had to have a little formula while I was away at a function over the weekend. My mom called in a panic! Lola had pulled a serious Linda Blair and had projectile vomited at least 3 times her own stomach capacity all over my mom, the chair, herself, the dog, etc. So, we have been trying to feed her a little formula every day since then. Seems to be going OK now, but let me tell you, getting sticky dried vomit out of fine baby hair is not a joyfull experience.
This morning we attempted to shove gooey rice cereal into Lola's mouth for the first time. For some time now she has been reaching out for my food like a snapping turtle if I hold her on my lap while eating. The look in her little eyes when she realized that this time she would be allowed to grasp the tiny spoon in her mouth as it passed by was precious! I think she maybe got a few molecules of cereal in her mouth too!
So, despite the ups and downs, so far Lola has been a really good kid. Sure, sometimes I wonder if she is bipolar as one second she is laughing hysterically and the next second screaming her little head off...
Anyway, the more she turns into a little person with her own little thought processes and facial expressions and sweet little giggles, the more in love with her we are.
Until next time!
Weight update: 13 lbs, 4 oz
Length: 24 1/2 inches
Mommy's baby fat: T minus one lb (T being start weight before preggo)

No comments:
Post a Comment