Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Kitty??? Anyone???


Entry for January 11, 2007

It is finally the new year and I am sitting at the computer enjoying Lola’s afternoon nap. She has finally decided that one nap will suffice, much to my disappointment. I was hoping she would take two naps a day until she started Kindergarten. This one is a particularly good one though, so far she has slept soundly for over two hours!

Wil and I celebrated New Year’s Eve in typical new parent fashion. We attempted to stay up and watch the ball drop after Lola went to bed. We had champagne, and were all ready to ring in the New Year with New York City. By 11:00 we were getting pretty droopy. The champagne was already opened and was acting as a nice sedative. At 11:30 we decided that the New Year could ring itself in. We were hitting the sack.

On a funny side note, Wil brought some of that grape flavored sparkling cider home for Lola to let her celebrate the New Year in style. We put on ounce in the sippy cup we usually put juice in and handed it to her. You know that shock you get when you are expecting soda but sip water instead, or vice versa? That must have been what hit Lola as she sipped the carbonated beverage, clearly expecting apple juice. The look on her face was priceless. I should have had a camera ready.

It may have been the morning of New Year’s Day, I don’t remember, when Lola started making noise at about 7:30 am. This is her usual waking time, and mine, but I was so sleepy I just didn’t want to get her yet. I prayed she would go back to sleep.

“Mommy? Mom? Mama?” I heard her call. Then she was quiet. She must have gone back to sleep! About 30 seconds of silence passed. Then her little voice, filled with uncertainty, called out “……kitty?” By now I was getting up. If she was moving on from calling her mommy to calling for the kitty, she must want someone, ANYONE, to help her out of her crib. As I was putting on my slippers, I heard her try one more time…”fishy???” I had to laugh. Now how was the fish going to help her out? Needless to say, she was happy to see me.

The other night Lola was wired. I don’t know what it was. Could have been the caffeine and sugar rush from the mini Hershey bar she conned me into giving her a half and hour before bedtime, but we will never know. Anyway, Wil and I were on the couch watching Lola scoot across the floor on her stomach after the cat. She was dressed in baby blue fleece pj’s that were obviously a size too big (laundry needed done, OK?) which made the scooting caterpillar effect that much more funny. Suddenly, she farted loudly and all motion stopped. She twisted around to look at her baby blue butt with a very confused look on her face. I think it was the first time she had acknowledged one of her own farts. Up until now she has been like a little old lady in the supermarket, farting away and just carrying on with whatever she happens to be doing at the moment. Of course Wil and I, being the mature professionals that we are, busted up laughing, which made her forget about the mysterious butt vibrations as she laughed along with us. Several minutes later, she farted again, but this time she looked right at us and cracked up. What have we done! She has learned that farts are funny! I guess it was inevitable.

Uh oh, I think I hear her waking up. Wow. A nearly 3 hour nap. Amazing! I guess I had better go get her…the kitties and the fishies have already proven to me that they are worthless at getting her out of the crib.

No comments: