Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sleep is for the weak!!!


Entry for April 10, 2006

Yeah! Uugghhh! Alright!!!! Let's go!!!

I'm pumping myself up for yet another night of battle. In this corner, an exhausted mom, sporting a nursing bra that has seen better days and purple circles under her eyes. She is coached by her weary husband. In the opposing corner, a 13 lb infant girl, wearing teddy bear pj's and swaddled in her purple kitty blanket. Who will win? Given that baby Lola has super powers, and her tired parents do not, likely the infant will win the battle.

Super powers?

That's what I said. She can recharge her batteries with the amazing 10 minute snooze! She can cry louder than a jet plane, and can bring Mommy and Daddy to their knees in a single hour long screaming jag! She's a turd! She's a pain! She's.... Insomniac Child!!! Sleep is not an option.
We are closing in on an entire seven day stretch of sleeplessness, broken only by a blessed 24 hour period yesterday in which she napped for 3 hours and then slept almost all the way through the night. Perhaps this freak 24 hour period was the start of a new schedule, and todays antics at her grandma's house was just a little reminder of who is really in charge around here. (I won't describe in detail Grammy's day, as I think it might traumatize her if she happens to read this and has to relive the painful memories...she might develop post traumatic stress disorder, and I need her to babysit for me every Monday so we can't have that.) I don't dare think that it was just a break and we are back in the battle.

Last night the little darling went to bed at about 9:30 pm, cried breifly after someone had the audacity to call us at that horribly late hour (what has become of us?), and slept until around 2...or maybe 3...or 4?? I wouldn't know the exact hour she awoke, because in some cruel twist of irony, I couldn't sleep last night. Around 2 am I gave in and stumbled down the stairs into the bathroom. Digging through the medicine cabinet, I was not unlike Golom. "My precious, where is my precious!" Finally I found what my tired body yearned for....Bennadryl, or as I like to call it, "Mommy's little pink miracle pill." I was in a drug induced coma as Lola awoke and nursed, then was put back to bed by her father. Amazingly she went back to bed without a fuss. Maybe it was the new hepa filter we put in her room, not to help her allergies, mind you, but to provide white noise. Maybe it was the freshly stuffed lavender pillow that cost Mommy seven bucks at the craft fair. Maybe she just felt like we deserved her mercy for one night, I don't know. Whatever it was, I can only pray that the Sleep Fairy continues to bless us with her presence. By the way, I think Bennadryl must enter the milk supply, because Lola slept until 7:30 this morning....unreal!!!!

So we have now entered the 10th ring of hell. Bet you didn't know that there was a 10th ring. Well, there is, and it is reserved for parents of children that won't effin' sleep!!!! I have received much helpful advice from other war weary parents. My favorite is "Oh yeah, my son did that until he turned 3!"

Joy.

In other news, we discussed religion the other day. I casually brought up the idea of having Lola babtized when she is old enough to choose to go through it and really understand what she is doing.

"I don't care if she chooses to be Buddhist, as long as she understands the religion and does it for the right reasons" I told Wil.
With a far off look on his face he replied "If she is Buddhist, I hope she is one of those that can lay down on a bed of nails with a concrete slab on her chest. That would be cool."
"Yeah Babe, that would be cool."

Sigh.

Well, I think I might hear our precious little snooky wookems, sweet little darling angel baby winding up downstairs, which means that Daddy has hit a wall and is raiding the fridge in a desperate attempt to locate another beer while the baby entertains herself on the floor. I do love our little stinkbug, but oh how I yearn for a night of sweet sweet sleep.

Yeah.....ALRIGHT!!! GO MOMMY, GO MOMMY, GO MOMMY!!!!!!!!

No comments: