Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My baby's butt glows in the dark!


Entry for April 2, 2006

This is going to be a short entry. I was just thinking today about some fond memories of my pregnancy and Lola's first few weeks of life involving my husband. Most of you who are reading this are women, so I feel comfortable saying "You know how men are!" If you are a man reading this, deal with it, you know how you are!

The first little memory is one that I treasure and don't want to ever forget, so I will record it here for the world to see, where I am assured by my brother that it will remain forever because it is the internet, or some crap like that.

Anyway, way back in September, we signed up for childbirth preparedness classes. The first night Wil and I had to meet there because I would be coming from the clinic, and he would be driving in from the pharmacy. I had asked him to pack up two pillows from our bedroom and bring them along that day, as we needed them for something in the class. So I get there first and he doesn't show, and he doesn't show. Finally he comes running up to me (thank GOD I was waiting in the hall and not in the room with the other couples who were all so totally with it). He was carrying a large package of extra soft cotonelle toilet paper.

"So what's with the TP?" I asked.
"Oh" he replied, "I forgot the pillows."
"OK," I said, confused, "So what's with the industrial sized bag 'o TP?"
"Well, I thought that this would work just as well as a pillow."
Big pause. Followed by much giggling.

I mean, SERIOUSLY, is that not the funniest thing EVER? Can you imagine us walking into childbirth classes with enough TP to wipe the bums of at least 50 people with GI distress for a week??? We could then explain to all the other "with it" couples that we acutally sleep on TP at home because it keeps our spines in line, and also prevents our hair from becoming mussed overnight.

Sigh.

OK, enough with that little memory, and on to another. When Lola was about 2 or 3 weeks old Wil had changed, oh, about zero diapers. Well, one day I was really busy doing something and he was forced to face a diaper change. Everything seemed to go well because neither baby or daddy were traumatized afterwards. An hour or so later, I was holding Lola and felt wet. Her diaper had leaked. I went in to change her and discovered to my amazement that Wil had only diapered in one butt cheek. No wonder it had leaked all over! The one butt cheek method of diapering continues to be an occasional occurence even to this day. Go figure.

And now on to the Lola update for the day. Her butt resembles that of a female baboon in heat. It is so red! My God, I have heard of diaper rash, but sheesh! I think her butt just might be visable to asronauts circling the moon. In fact, I suppose I could just stand outside in the dark and hold her little naked butt up in the air and attract all kinds of cool insects. Aliens might even think our yard is a landing site. Seriously though, all those creams and things don't seem to be helping that much, but they are making my hand really soft. The doctor says that it will go away soon, but to help it along, we allow Lola to be free range several times a day. This means stripping her naked and placing her on an ample supply of puppy pee pads so that she doesn't do to our carpet what she did to my shirt and bra in a previous blog entry.

Another update. Cereal cramming did not set well with Lola's gut. She had the teensiest little bit of blood in her poo the other day, which of course gave Mommy heart failure. After yet another doctor visit, we concluded that as much as she loves the cereal, she needs to wait at least another 2 weeks before trying it again.

Final update. The whole sleep sack instead of swaddle thing....not so good. She is swaddled again. I think we may have to find her a college roommate to swaddle her every night and put her binky in for her.

Well, see you all soon! Hope you are mildly entertained by my trials of motherhood.

No comments: